Hi and welcome to my very first blog post on nowaddsugar.com. I have been both dreading and looking forward to this moment in equal measure for months on end.
I am starting off with a simple cookie recipe as I believe that the simple things are always the best things in life. If you love custard, you are going to love these melt-in-your-mouth custard cookies. The recipe I used is adapted from the blog Bits of Sunshine’s recipe for custard creams. I increased the amount of butter as I thought the dough was too dry. Fortunately, the cookies were anything but soggy and/or oily. The cookie has a light and nice crisp to it and has a lovely buttery and custardy aroma.
2 ¾ sticks (300g) of unsalted butter
1 cup (120g or 4 oz.) of icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup (150g) of custard powder
2 ¼ cups (280g or 9 3/4 oz. ) of all-purpose flour
1. Preheat the oven to 365° F (180° C).
2. Sift icing sugar, flour and custard powder and mix together.
3. Add butter and vanilla and kneed until you have a smooth dough.
4. Shape the dough into little balls.
5. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the balls on top.
6. Press the balls down with a fork.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes.
Hope you liked my first post and recipe on nowaddsugar. Please let me know what you think.